Within hours of signing out lease I was probably at work researching inspiration for our future apartment. To keep myself sane (and organized) I set up a folder on my desktop called “house”. Within that folder I broke down every room. However that only brought me so far. looking at all the pictures separately didn’t bring the full feel of the room to life. It also didn’t help me narrow down my options. Seriously no one needs 5 area rugs in 1 living room.
My college schooling kicked into gear, and some inspiration boards were made. In the design world inspiration boards are usually hanging over our desks with all things we find interesting, fun, the “feeling” we’re trying to create, or simply awesome to look at. Specific room inspiration boards are a little more detailed and usually contain furniture, colors, finishes, and “looks” that will eventually end up in the room. The BIGGEST thing one needs to remember is each specific item is not expected to end up in the finished room. It’s more of a this is the feel or look we’re trying to go for. And honestly, they are SO fun to make.
Here’s The Dining Room:
And my favorite, The Bedroom:
The Living Room has no direction at this current point. Mainly because I know it’s the room that’s going to integrate a lot of Brendan’s “collections”. Need to figure out how to make it all work. Firefighting, Coca Cola, and Street Signs are not exactly my idea of a comfy inviting Living Area. Ahh the joys of engagements and the merging of the stuffs.
I would be more than happy to teach, review, or make an inspiration board for any of my adoring friends.
Quickly after moving in, maybe I will confess to before moving in, I started planning what to do with our new +/- 1,000 square feet. Upon my many searches for inspiration and direction I stumbled upon FABULOUS fabric by Waverly from Joann’s Fabric.
I was in love. And it was so perfect for my attempts to make our spaces gender neutral and desire to incorporate our love of the great outdoors. The problem? We have 2 windows in our bedroom, the fabric was $24.99 a yard, and to outfit our bedroom with simple straight curtains would cost us roughly $225. Yeah. My perfect curtains were quickly slipping out of my grasp. Thankfully a shopping trip to the local Target saved my dream. for $35 I bought plain Jane beige canvas curtains (no sewing required always a plus, one less task to assign to Mama). Then took a trip to the craft store, bought some acrylic craft paint (under $7) and went to work.
First I sketched out the leaf patter on thick Bristol board. I sketched out 3, one for each color and to create a little visual interest as each leaf on the original is a little different. Then I cut it out with my trusty exacto blade. From there it was a simple monkey see monkey do. Looked at the image of the designer fabric, lay out the stencils as accurately as you can. Dab some paint on, alternate colors so as to not smudge wet paint everywhere and voila! Designer fabric custom curtains at a fraction of the cost!
Brendan especially was impressed with the resemblance to the original, and other than taking a bit longer than I would have thought or liked (seriously was a lot of fabric to get through) I’m equally pleased.
The roll up curtain is over the bed. I like to think it creates a headboard/focal point/canopy type effect. Also if you noticed we went SUPER thrifty on the curtain rods. The “theme” of our bedroom is “Woodsy Retreat”. To play with the theme we went for a hike, grabbed some already fallen branches cut them to size, and hung them on our existing curtain rob holders. Very simple, VERY cost effective, and frankly I think they look pretty awesome.